Sometimes it's too hard to resist giving your dog a sneaky piece of your meal underneath the dinner table.
Even though you have your best intentions in mind, it's important to know your dog can't eat everything you eat. With that in mind, here are the most toxic things you should never give your dog.
After a few too many glasses, you might find yourself spilling your expensive chardonnay on the ground. Make sure to clean it up, as your dog won't be having a good time like you. It can be very harmful to our 4 legged friends, as it can cause lack of coordination, drowsiness, difficulty breathing, coma and even death.
Garlic and Onion
Most likely your favourite addition to any meal, these ingredients make a recipe for disaster for your dog.
Garlic has a substance that can damage or destroy your dogs red blood cells and cause your dog to become anaemic. Even in powdered form, both of these foods are very toxic.
Caffeine finds its way into many drinks and foods. This extends from tea, coffee, energy drinks, sodas and even some pain killers. For your dogs, this can cause rapid breathing, heart palpitation, tremors and even death.
Grapes & Raisins
These are very toxic to dogs due to the fungicide, herbicide or pesticide contamination present in them. As well as all the symptoms of poisoning, dogs can experience dehydration and even kidney failure.
Your dog could have a severe reaction such as a rise in body temperature, faster heartbeat, weakness and vomiting. They can even cause paralysis and in extreme cases result in death.
This is an artificial sweetener found in products such as lollies, chewing gum, toothpaste and some baked foods. Your dog could experience a sudden increase in insulin circulation which can result in a sudden drop in blood sugar causing liver failure.
Unfortunately, you can't share your favourite midnight snack with your bestie. Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine which can cause abnormal
heartbeats, tremors, seizure and even death. Dark and unsweetened baking chocolate contains more theobromine making it the worst kind of chocolate to ingest.
Fat Trimmings & Bones
The leftovers from the Christmas ham are going to have to go in the bin. Bacon can cause pancreatitis often leading to death. Bones are a choking hazard and they can splinter and puncture a dog’s throat or digestive tract.
It can expand in your dog’s stomach causing the stomach to stretch. The fermentation process in the yeast releases alcohol which we know is a huge risk already for your furry friend.
Fruits Pits & Seeds
Pits & Seeds can cause an obstruction in your dog’s digestive tract. The pits can be poisonous for your dog as some contain cyanide (peaches & plums). It is always best to exercise caution.
Info sourced from the farmers dog